This town is at an elevation of 8550 feet (2601 m) and was established in 1904 in anticipation of the arrival of the Moffat Railroad. It was laid out on the western high bank of the Fraser River by George Eastom and originally named for him, but this name did not stick, for the town soon resorted to the name given the original rural post office: Fraser. The origin of the name Fraser cannot be confirmed. Rueben Frazier, an early settler in the area, was well known by most of the locals and it wasn’t long before people started calling the town Frazier. When the US Postal Authority granted a post office they wanted an easier spelling so took the name of the nearby Fraser River. It was the center of the timber industry until the Forest Service headquarters was moved to Hot Sulphur Springs in 1915, and the Ranger Station to Idlewild. The town was incorporated in 1953.